<$BlogRSDUrl$>

PolySciFi Blog

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

 

Thoughts on Day 2 of the RNC

Governator
Arnold gave a great speech (text). He hit the note I mentioned yesterday as the theme of this RNC
"And maybe, just maybe, you don't agree with this party on every single issue. I say to you tonight I believe that's not only okay, that's what's great about this country. Here we can respectfully disagree and still be patriotic, still be American and still be good Republicans."
And then followed up with the core Republican beliefs (at least from my libertarian perspective):
If you believe that government should be accountable to the people, not the people to the government, then you are a Republican!

If you believe a person should be treated as an individual, not as a member of an interest group, then you are a Republican!

If you believe your family knows how to spend your money better than the government does, then you are a Republican!

If you believe our educational system should be held accountable for the progress of our children, then you are a Republican!

If you believe this country, not the United Nations, is the best hope of democracy in the world, then you are a Republican!

If you believe we must be fierce and relentless and terminate terrorism, then you are a Republican!

[If]you have faith in free enterprise, faith in the resourcefulness of the American people, and faith in the U.S. economy, [then you are a Republican!]

If your house still has the "Wide Load" sign on the back, then you might be a Redneck!
Ok that last one wasn't in there, but that section of Ahhnaahhlld's speech did have a very Jeff Foxworthy feel to it.

The Bush Twins
While it seems to have resonated better with some, I was in physical pain listening to the Bush twins. No really. After hearing them make fun of Barbara for not being hip enough, I curled up in a little ball and rolled off the couch.

I've mentioned that maybe Kerry is a top secret Bush plant. Well maybe the Bush twins are Bob Shrum's secret plants in the Bush camp.

Also some seem took that little disaster as a sign of the "hotness" of the Bush twins (link link) which just bewilders me. I'm not certain if First Daughter hotness will swing many votes, but if it does, the Bush daughters are still beaten hands down by Alexandra's coming out party. (maybe not work safe)

Laura
Apparently it played well in places (also my fiance and beldar liked it), but I had a real hard time following along. I got bored. Perhaps that's a result of the setup, but I felt the speech was pedestrian.

Update
I'm no crazier than a guy who spells Jeff as xrlq. Xrlq was also struck by the "you might be a redneck Republican part of Arnold's speech.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?