<$BlogRSDUrl$>

PolySciFi Blog

Thursday, August 11, 2005

 

Video Game Addictions

No, not addicitive flash games, the kind that come on a CD.

Via Harry, I come across the story of a man who played StarCraft to death.
The 28-year-old man collapsed after playing the game Starcraft at an internet cafe in the city of Taegu, according to South Korean authorities.

The man had not slept properly, and had eaten very little during his marathon session, said police.

...

The man, identified by his family name, Lee, started playing Starcraft on 3 August. He only paused playing to go to the toilet and for short periods of sleep, said the police.
If Lee had only been a Civ4 addict (coming in November), he could've followed polyscifi's advice and enrolled in Civanon. They've already helped several "addicts" with their "12 step program". In their video of the recovering Civ4 addicts, there's one guy - Rob T. - who was in even deeper than Mr Lee.
[Rob T.] "By the time I got to the Industrial age I was a full blown junky. There were times when I woud play the game 2, 3 days straight. Wouldn't get up to eat. Wouldn't get up to go to the bathroom.

[Off camera] "You wouldn't go to the bathroom?"

[Rob T.] "I said I didn't get up."
The "cameo" by the major political figure in the video is also quite choice.

Some personal StarCraft Notes:
Back in 98-99 I too, was a StarCraft addict. Enough so that I told people I majored in StarCraft my senior year at VT. Enough so that friends in the dorm referred to my playing as "smoking crack" because I would emerge after days of playing pale and dissheveled and with an odd dorm funk. Enough so that I sorta gave up showering for Lent. However, I did get up to go to the bathroom.

I played under the screen name "retarted_stan" (yes I know that's not how you spell "retarded" - that's the point). My M.O. was to constantly type in messages like, "My mommy has brown eyes", "I wipe myself", "mommy says I'm special", "do you know Mr Bear?" and type in newbie sounding messages. This online character was made all the more satisfying when I crushed my opponent, which was quite frequent - I would lose approximately 3 or 4 times a month playing like 50 games a day (yes that means about 16 hours of StarCraft a day).

The joy of envisioning someone getting crushed by someone who they think is a complete moron was also my motivation for my attempt to talk a tennis team I coached into using the name "The Fluffy Bunnies." Nothing quite like having to tell your friends that you got beat down by some Fluffy Bunnies.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?