<$BlogRSDUrl$>

PolySciFi Blog

Sunday, February 12, 2006

 

Truthiness Watch

I wasn't born when Nixon's presidency collapsed, so I can't remember reading anything quite as harsh as this on a major paper's editorial page. The first two sentences:
We can't think of a president who has gone to the American people more often than George W. Bush has to ask them to forget about things like democracy, judicial process and the balance of powers — and just trust him. We also can't think of a president who has deserved that trust less.
I haven't posted about Bush's executive branch shenanigans in a while, because I don't really have much to say about them. I think that the NSA wiretapping program (and Gonzales's semi-insane defense of it), the National Journal's recent revelations about who, exactly, is being held in Guantanamo Bay, and the stories about political appointees at NASA and NOAA should do a lot towards convincing skeptics of the current administration's arrogance and incompetence. In any event: the Times editorial page has never been a friend of Bush's. But they've stopped pretending they think his administration tells the truth about anything. Perhaps I'm mistaken, and they were this hostile to Reagan or Bush, Sr., but I don't think so.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?