<$BlogRSDUrl$>

PolySciFi Blog

Friday, May 20, 2005

 

Anthony Lane: Anger Leads To Hate

Two scifi things:

1. I saw The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy tonight; it's pretty good. I felt kind of like I did watching Spinal Tap again; I knew all the best jokes ahead of time, even though I haven't read the books in fifteen years. I think that conservative anger at Lucas might be better aimed at Sam Rockwell, though; his Zaphod is straight out of Crawford. It's worth seeing, though.

2. Judging by the costumed crowd outside of the Arclight last night (The Night of the Hunter, which is better every time I see it) and the empty 2nd floor at work today (Development: We Work When We Want To), a new Star Wars movie has been unleashed on the world. I'll be seeing it Saturday (3:30 show, non-digital projection, reserved seating: scientifically selected to maximize movie-going experience while minimizing waving lightsabers from the audience members) and I'm looking forward to it. Some people aren't as enthusiastic, though. I like Anthony Lane a lot; he introduced me to the films of Lukas Moodysson, who I really like (Tillsammans, especially). Anyway, whether I agree or disagree with him, he's fun to read, and I have a new favorite sentence, from his vitriolic review of Revenge of the Sith, about Yoda:
Also, while we’re here, what’s with the screwy syntax? Deepest mind in the galaxy, apparently, and you still express yourself like a day-tripper with a dog-eared phrase book. “I hope right you are.” Break me a fucking give.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?