<$BlogRSDUrl$>

PolySciFi Blog

Saturday, April 09, 2005

 

Jody gets Interviewed

Continuing a meme floating around the internet, I've been "interviewed" by Christiana. The rules of the interview meme are:
1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."

2. I will respond by asking you five questions. I get to pick the questions.

3. You will update your livejournal/website with the answers to the questions and provide a link to your answers in the comments.

4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.
Click here to read the interview.

1. Pick your favorite movie (or one of them.) Why do you love it so much?

I think I’ve seen the Holy Grail more times than any other movie (though ConAir is making a run for it as it’s on TV all the time).

It’s just the classic in absurdist humor which is what I really enjoy. Ni!

2. You're stranded on a desert island. Toothbrush or toilet paper?

Toothbrush.

If push comes to shove, a toothbrush can serve both purposes. Just gotta make certain you get it nice and clean when you’re done.

3. You get to meet anyone in the world (currently alive) and ask them one question. Who is it, and what do you ask?

Dan Rather – “What’s the frequency, Kenneth?”

Actually, that’s a lousy question cause I know the answer. WCBS broadcasts on channel 2 which put Rather in the band 54-60 MHz. If Mr. Tager had only asked an electrical engineer, poor Dan could’ve been saved a lot of hassle.

So how about, this: Seth MacFarlane: “Will the new episodes of Family Guy suck as hard as the pilot of American Dad?”

Ok that’s kind of trite and surely I can come up with a better question.

Maybe Stephen Hawking: “Have you thought of applying Sabermetrics to improve the play of the Oxford cricket team?”

Hmmm… that’s no good either. He might get offended. Especially as I probably couldn’t resist asking with a Speak n Spell.

Maybe Jerry Buss so I could ask him what in the world he was thinking trading Shaq away.

In all seriousness, probably Allan Greenspan whom I would ask, “How long do you think the housing bubble will hold up?” Cause purchasing a house is a major event looming in my near future and $300,000-500,000 is not something you want to just throw around.

4. What is the most interesting place you have ever visited?

Well, I’ve run with the bulls in Pamplona, hiked the Grand Canyon, been to the top of the Eiffel tower in both Paris and Vegas (the view from the top of the Stratosphere was much better), been to Stonehenge and Carhenge (that’s in Nebraska), visited every non-postage stamp country in Western Europe outside of Scandanavia and Portugal, visited every state in the US except Oregon, Washington, and Alaska, and will be making trips this year to Korea and to India. So I travel a lot making this a difficult question to answer if you subscribe to the theory put forth in the Paradox of Choice. Fortunately, I think the paradox of choice doesn't apply if you're moderately intelligent and moderately self-aware.

The most interesting (or the most enjoyable) place I've visited is Edinburgh.

I’ve been to Edinburgh twice. Once with my parents (who had a real thing for traveling which seems to have rubbed off some) and once with my brother and a friend as we wasted the summer after my BS (‘99) and wasted quite a bit of money gallivanting about Europe.

The first time I went with my parents I was 11ish and my family was taking a two week summer vacation in Britain. We took the long train ride (~8 hours then though I understand they do it in 5 now) up from London starting in the afternoon and arriving in the late evening, which to my surprise was broad daylight because we were so far north.

If you've never been to Edinburgh, it's a beautiful city. Set in old volcanic fields on the edge of the North Sea, Edinburgh combines breathtaking natural views, stunning architecture, and modern amenities.

Both times I've been there, I've made certain to Edinburgh castle. If you’ve never seen Edinburgh castle it’s quite sweet. Rising above the city on a volcanic outcropping on the coast, this large imposing castle (much more impressive than the Tower of London) is quite breathtaking and quite picture worthy. When I came back in 99, I made certain to stay at Castle Rock Hostel just to be close to the castle.

Leading down from the Castle to Holyrood (which was only ok) is the Royal Mile which again has beautiful old Scottish architecture. Still more or less in the middle of town is King Arthur’s Seat (in Holyrood park) – an even larger volcanic outcropping that overlooks the city and the Firth of Forth.

To add to the fun of Edinburgh, there’s the Eerie pub crawl (which I somehow didn't do when I was 11). The Eerie pub crawl takes you through five pubs spread over Edinburgh (the link says four, but I remember five, maybe one closed. I’ll have to find my t-shirts and check the names) decorated to reflect spooky things from Edinburgh’s history. As part of the crawl, you drink two drinks at each pub and at the end, you get a t-shirt. I liked it so much, I did it twice on two consecutive nights.

My personal favorite pub of the five was Jekyll & Hyde’s which is decorated like a mad scientist’s laboratory. The bar itself has a convoluted mess of glass tubes filled with colored liquors (blue Curacao, Grenadine…) that they tap to make you a mixed drink. There’s skulls on the wall, weird hanging metallic objects, and for the coup de grace, the bathrooms are actually unmarked and hidden behind a bookshelf.

So in Edinburgh, you get the rare juxtaposition of the beauty that man creates and the beauty that God creates. Oh, and alcohol too.

5. There are two kinds of kids, those who like Animaniacs, and those who don't like Animaniacs. Which kind are you?

I currently have a 2 foot ceramic statue of “The Brain” in my living room. At one point I also had a matching Pinky statue before it met an unfortunate accident in the dorms when I wasn't present. I have one t-shirt featuring both with a thought bubble above brain showing “pi” and a thought bubble above pinky showing the a picture of a pie. I have another t-shirt that has most of the cast of the Animaniacs spread over the front and back. Somewhere at my parents’ house I have a poseable rubber Wacko.

So I friggin hate the Animaniacs.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?