<$BlogRSDUrl$>

PolySciFi Blog

Thursday, October 21, 2004

 

Sinclair

I've followed the Stolen Honor controversy pretty closely, and even got some friends in the Baltimore & St. Louis area to make some calls to Sinclair media advertisers. And I've never, but never thought the Swift Boat Vets were anything but smear artists of the lowest kind. I figured Stolen Honor would be like the SBV ads--trying not to say anything provably untrue, but implying a lot. It turns out, though, that Stolen Honor actually is pretty straightforward about balls-out lying, though. Here's a paragraph from Dana Stevens's review in Slate:

This brings me to my nomination for Moment Least Likely To Appear in Friday's broadcast: the brief segment in which producer and narrator Carlton Sherwood, with a straight face and without a shred of evidence, calls John Kerry a war criminal. And not in some symbolic, metaphorical way; he accuses him of decapitating, testicle-eletrocuting, and rape. Those are but some of the atrocities that Kerry describes in a well-known clip from the Congressional hearings of 1971: "They [the soldiers] told the stories … at times they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals … and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam." Immediately after this clip, Sherwood appears onscreen and asks: "Did I just hear that right? Was I, or my fellow Marines, being accused of the same atrocities John Kerry had committed?" Did I just hear that right? After rewinding this moment half a dozen times, I had to believe it: A film destined for the airwaves of national television on the eve of the election was coolly asserting that the Democratic candidate was a rapist and a ball-wiring baby killer. You'd think that would have come up in the debates: "My opponent has no plan for saving Social Security. Plus, he wired all those balls in Vietnam."
Unbelievable. Read the whole thing, as Glenn Reynolds will probably not say about this article.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?