<$BlogRSDUrl$>

PolySciFi Blog

Friday, October 15, 2004

 

Election Enders

Jody claimed in a comment below that the Assault Weapons Ban was a big issue in swing states, notably the midwest and Pennsylvania. I'm not so sure--I think renewal of the ban was overwhelmingly supported everywhere in the US. Check out this editorial from the Washington Post--apparently, Midwestern states averaged 72 percent support for renewal. In fact, among gun owners and NRA supporters, only two states (Missouri and Ohio) had a majority support for ending the ban. And it wasn't much of a majority--again, that's among gun owners and NRA supporters. Was there any state in the union in which a majority of citizens opposed the ban? Was that state Wyoming? I don't know--I have to find the actual polling data--Jody, if you know where it is, a link would be great.

Anyway, I think it's a giant losing issue for the Republicans, and I think that's why Bush and DeLay did their whole Kabuki theater thing ("if only, if only the president had told me in person that he supported renewing the ban!").

I hate that kind of nonsense.

As far as the other Election Enders Jody lists, I think, first of all, that he's deliberately misunderstanding the "global test" phrase that Bush keeps repeating. Seeking international legitimacy (and being honest with the world) are good policy, and not related in any way shape or form to letting other countries make our foreign policy decisions. Jody, you know that, & I think Kerry's been pretty clear about it, so give me a break.

Also, you list Kyoto as an election ender--I think Kerry said he didn't support the treaty as written, but thought Bush shouldn't have just walked away entirely. And he didn't just walk away, he had his administration make pretty ludicrous statements about the lack of scientific evidence for a link between CO2 emissions and global warming. My answer to Bush on that: Eppure si muove.

Comments(0) |
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?